Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Carmela's Food Blog: Italian Style Brussel Sprouts




Brussel Sprouts with Polenta...Delish!

I was shopping at Stew Leonard's when I came across shaved Brussel sprouts. What a great idea I thought. So they came home with me and, while I was revisiting my leftovers in my fridge, I saw I had some polenta and decided to put something together with these shaved Brussel sprouts. Below is a picture of what you'll need. This is really so simple.

Here are the ingredients!

1 container of shaved Brussel sprouts; if you can't find them maybe you can ask your favorite deli person to slice them up for you.
5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 handful of chopped walnuts
1/8 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Olive Oil - enough to coat your frying pan
3 strips of cooked bacon crumbled or diced

Directions:
Blanche the shaved Brussel sprouts in 1 inch of boiling water. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in pan, add garlic and lightly brown, then add the bacon.

Using a slotted spoon, spoon the Brussel sprouts from the water and add them directly into your frying pan.


Add the walnuts. Stir and then sprinkle in the breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Saute the Brussel Sprouts

Next: Brown the polenta in a frying pan in oil. Turn once and sprinkle the polenta with grated cheese.

Brown the Polenta

Plate the polenta and add the Brussel sprout mixture on top (as shown above.) The walnuts add the perfect texture to this vegetable! Enjoy!

Written By: Carmela Corleone (on Twitter @Carmela Corleone)


No comments: